Sunday, October 2, 2011

Come in and Rest a Spell by Vivian Vande Velde

*(out of four stars)

Last year around this time, I was at some haunted house attraction and stopped into their little gift shop. I came upon this book of 13 short horror stories by an author named, Vivian Vande Velde. I've never read nor heard of her before, but any anthology based on Halloween will peak my interest. The book is called, All Hallows Eve. Since October is the greatest and most festive time of year, I'll certainly enjoy sharing some of these tales with you. And of course, I'll try and watch a film or two to review as well. Now, I haven't finished this book yet, so each review will come as I read them. I'm hoping to finish them all and write them up right here. But like I said, I've also got some movies to catch up on. Either way, it's gonna be fun.

The first story I'll review is the first one in this book. It's really short, seven pages to be exact, so this one will be brief.

Come in and Rest a Spell really has no depth. It's told by "Granny", a women who is concocting a potion for some girl, whom remains unnamed. The granny wishes to cast a spell for the young girl, so her crush will fall in love with her. All the while little old granny actually concocts a potion and poisons the girl. Now, granny will have the young man all to herself. Like she says at the end of the story, if the young man and granny are unhappy, well, she's also got a spell for that too.

That is literally the first story. There really isn't much more to it. I guess it's a slow opening and I'm hoping the remaining 12 stories have a little more to them. There really isn't much else to say about Come in and Rest a Spell. Sorry.

Author: Vivian Vande Velde

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company

2006

No comments:

Post a Comment